Moving? Here’s what to do with your Homeowner’s Insurance.

Sep 17, 2021 | 0 comments

Step 1: Get a new homeowner’s insurance policy

To prevent any lapses of not having homeowner’s insurance coverage, it is highly recommended to have your new policy in motion before you cancel your old policy.

In order to find the best coverage for your property, your safest option is to work with an insurance agency such as I & E. At I & E, you’ll work personally with an insurance expert to discuss your new property, explore coverage options, and get the most value out of your new policy.

You can either stick with your current insurance company, or make the switch to a different insurer. Make sure you speak with an insurance expert before making any drastic changes to prevent lapses and overspending.

Step 2: Cancel your old policy

After getting a new policy that suits your new property, it’s time to cancel your old coverage.

While your old policy may have been a perfect fit for your old home and location, it will not work for your new property. Policies are not one-size fits all. Several factors go into building a policy, including your home’s location, size, age, and more.

Once your new policy goes into effect, you can cancel your old policy. Your options for this step are:

  • Call your insurer directly and provide information such as your policy number, statement of cancellation, and more.
  • Work through an insurance agency to get assistance throughout the process.

Step 3: Keep your mortgage lender updated

Inform your mortgage lender of your new policy and insurer. Your lender will help ensure that payments are made to the correct insurer on time.

When you’re moving, your homeowner’s insurance policy may not be the only coverage you have that will need an update. If you’re moving, we highly recommend speaking with insurance experts such as the team at I & E.

Give us a call today at (732) 295-5584 to schedule your appointment!